Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Fun of Tying Knots

Tying knots was always a challenge for me. Several years ago I had to learn the bowline. This very popular knot is used by sailors and others alike. I had a purpose and that was to secure a jib sail at the bow of a 23' sailboat. For several nights I sat in my living room practicing this well known, useful knot. Over and over again I practiced it. A few days later, I'm now on deck at the bow ready to tie the bowline. For me to tie it properly I would have to be positioned on the water side of the boat. All of my living room practice sessions did not take into account. Thanks to Josh's February 23, 2007 post at Song From Me there is site we can all go to and see just how to tie many knots for sailing, climbing, construction and other purposes. Animated Knots by Grog is one of the best sites I've seen for tying knots.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Some people talk of using their foot as the center or bend area of the line. Imagine the difficulty when on deck!The link you offer is terrific, easy to follow, and animated at that. Thanks, Nancy

Bob said...

I'm glad you found "Animated Knots by Grog" useful. Next time we teach we'll refer our new sailors to this site.

Joared said...

With your interest in sailing, you might enjoy this blog "Full Fathom Five" http://mlcoe.typepad.com/full_fathom_five/ account with pictures in the archives of a sailing trip the writer and her husband took from Maine down the coast.

kokopelliwoman said...

Hilarious! I haven't been sailing in a decade, but I pretty much tore up Barnegat Bay NJ in a 14' Hobie Cat, and Sydney Harbour in a 24' sloop. My ex did the 75th annual Sydney-Hobart sail in a 36 footer, it changed his life.

Austin is downstream from five man-made lakes, each of them fairly good for sailing. But I miss that salt air...